Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Mac Truck

Today I feel as if a Mac truck has hit me. At first I couldn't quite figure out why... I've been sleeping quite well recently. Today I went to have a full battery of medical tests so that I can get my Chinese residency card and according to them I'm fine. Sitting here today and looking at all of the other staff in the office, seeing how absolutely tired everyone is, it finally occured to me why I think I am so tired. Its these six day 60 plus hour work weeks... and the really kicker of it is, I can't complain because A) Its what I expected, B) I only work 6 days per week, whereas the other staff usually work 7, and C) I am getting paid a western salary when they are getting paid less than normal Chinese salary.

Any why am I getting my Chinese residency, you ask? So I can get my Chinese driver's license of course! Lets just say that I am sick and tired of being in the back seat of a car, praying for dear life that the insane Chinese driver is going to get me to my destination without killing myself and half a dozen pedestrians at the same time. The company's new driver is the worst... I cringe when I walk out of my apartment in the morning and see him sitting in the driver's seat. I actually scream at him to slow down when he is driving, which I am sure transcends language barriers, but does he listen.... nope. At least if I am driving the company's car I will have more control over things. No more driving at 95 mph down city streets, no more passing cars on around a blind corner, no more driving on the wrong side of the highway, no more... well, you get the idea.

In other news... at the end of this month I will be traveling to Austria, Slovakia, and Hungary on business. I originally thought I would be going to Moscow also, but that portion of the trip fell through. On my way back to China, I will be stopping in Beijing to meet up with my friends Fargus, Josh, and Eli. That will be great to see them. And then, only a month or so later my parents will be coming to China to visit. Really looking forward to showing everyone around!