Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bangkok

I left Ko Phi Phi and took the boat to Phuket. Despite all of the destruction that Phuket and Ko Phi Phi received from the tsunami, it was not very apparent. The Thai people have done an amazing job rebuilding. Anyway, I went to Phuket airport, and after a few nail-biting hours of standby was able to get a flight to Bangkok.

I spent three days in Bangkok visiting my cousin Alistair, whom I had never met. I felt a little awkward and nervous waiting in the train station where I was to meet him. I had basically contacted him and said, “Hi, I’m your second cousin once removed. I know you haven’t seen my father since you were 7 years old, but can I stay at your place?” Alistair and his Thai wife Hassanna were kind enough to let me sleep in their living room and show me around Bangkok. We went to a crocodile farm, they showed me Kho San Rd (the main backpacker area) and took me to Hassanna’s mother’s birthday dinner. They were incredibly hospitable and I can’t thank them enough for how kind they were to me. On the third day, Alistair and I took a train to Ayutthaya, the ancient traditional capital of Thailand and visited the ruins there of the ancient city dating back to the 12th century. I have some amazing photos from both Bangkok and Ayutthaya. I still can’t believe I was there. Alistair drove me to the airport the next day and I flew to Kuala Lumpur, picked up my luggage which I had left a few weeks before, and then flew to Bali to find the Bamboo Lady.