Friday, November 25, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

I am a bad American apparently. I have missed 2 out of the past 3 Thanksgiving dinners at the Dearden house, and for that I am truely sad. Gran, I will sorely miss you wonderful meal. Aunt Susan, I will miss your appetizers. Mum, I cannot tell you how much I will miss your pumpkin and pecan pies. If I've forgotten anyone's particular dish, I am sorry... I am sure I miss it also. All is not lost though... I am not repeating Thanksgiving dinner that I had two years ago (steak and kidney pie in England). Jackie's, the most popular western restaurant here in Yantai served a wonderful Thankgiving dinner this evening, complete with turkey, roast potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Unfortunately it was lacking the stuffing, mashed potato, creamed onions, and everything else that I've grown to love of Thankgiving dinner, but it was still quite good. I dragged Louise and my friend Paul (also British) to dinner and made them eat turkey.

Perhaps I will stop at the DVD store and buy Home Alone to make it feel like real Thanksgiving. I can't believe that is still on every year.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Despite my going on about the food, it is our family that I will miss the most. It is one of my favorite family get-togethers and I am certainly feeling rather homesick today. I will try and call during dinner and say hello.