Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Shave and Haircut... quite right!

Ok, so I went on Sunday to go and have my hair cut. I did this because I was starting to look like one of the BeeJees and that is a crime against humanity. It was horrible. Adriano, Ngee Siew, and I went to the hairdresser where Adriano usually goes, and much to my surprise, it was like any hair saloon at home. First, they washed my hair, then (using my trusty passport photos I had taken before I left the States) I showed him what I wanted my hair to look like, and the barber snipped away. Then it was time for another hair wash to get all the little bits out.

Well, I was finished, but Ngee Siew was having his hair dyed (I have no idea why) and Adriano was downstairs in the basement. I went down looking for him, to find him being given a shave with an old fashioned straight edge razor, followed by a scalp, arm and hand massage. Since I hadn't shaved in two days, and I've ALWAYS wanted to have an old-fashioned shave, I sat down in the chair and had steaming hot lather applied to my face.

Let me tell you, that was by far the most absolutely, incredibly, entirely...











... HORRIFIC experience of my life. I guess I never realized how much I don't trust other people. You quickly find out how much ingrained distrust you have in others when someone is running a 6-inch long razorblade across your jugular. And, it damn-well hurts! A lot!. It felt like I was shaving with a four month old disposable razor. Ouch! I don't think I will ever get a real shave like that again... I suppose I might consider it on my wedding day or something, but only because of how close a shave it was.

Again, I was finished before everyone else, so I opted to try the scalp massage... supposed to relieve tension... again, yeah right! Ouch that hurts! It felt like someone was pulling out all my hair by the roots, and they felt it necessary to try and sell me some hair restoration lotion after that. See, Dad... I told you I'm not the only one that says I am loosing my hair. After enduring about one minute of my 20 minute scalp massage, I told them to stop, wash the stuff out of my hair that they had just slapped in it, and send me upstairs so that I could pay. I spent the rest of the time at the hairdresser watching some Chinese gameshow where some guy was throwing playing cards at bananas from 30 feet away and cutting them in half.