Monday, August 15, 2005

Shanghai Nightlife

So, I snuck out on Friday night. I am not really allowed out without my translator, because the Fluidcare manager, QP Lu is worried that something will happen to me. In reality he is worrying unnecessarily as Shanghai is one of the safest cities in the world for travelers. After talking to Ngee Siew, we both decided it would be perfectly fine for me to go out by myself.

I took the taxi to the Science Museum, caught the subway to People's Park, changed lines, got off at Shaanxi Road, walked a quarter of a mile, and there it was...

...part of Shanghai's famous nightclub district. I had purposely chosen an area frequented by both Chinese and Westerners alike. I walked up and down the street taking a look at the various bars and clubs, stopping in a few that looked interesting. I was starting to feel very out of place because everyone was there with friends... I was the only person walking around alone. Finally I struck up a conversation with a French guy named Raphael. We talked a little outside and went into Club Windows. By the end of the night I had made a few friends: a Frenchy named Raphael, a Chinese-Canadian named Florence, and a Shanghaiese student named PJ who happened to be wearing a Philadelphia 76'ers jersey and was a really good breakdancer. All in all, a very fun night.